This is currently the absolute favorite dish in our home right now. My husband and I have always loved stuffed peppers and I am thrilled that my four year old has taken such a liking to them as well. I also love that this is a dish I can feel really good about serving my family. Sweet and nutritious bell peppers, protein rich meat, spinach and cheese – it’s packed full of goodness and is pretty much a meal by itself.. I normally just serve it along with a salad and maybe some fruit for the little one.
Makes 8 servings
- 4 bell peppers
- Approximately 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 package of Italian sausage meet (our preference is Johnsonville Mild Italian) you can also use 1 pound of whichever ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, etc) you prefer.
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1 jar or can of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup of goat or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
* If you are using the Italian sausage you shouldn’t need to add any spice. However, if you are using a plain ground meet you will probably want to season with salt and pepper and perhaps some Italian seasoning.
Preheat the oven to 375.
Place the meat in a large pan and cook, with the chopped onion, over medium heat until cooked through. Add the pasta sauce, stir well and remove from heat.
Wash the bell peppers and using a sharp knife, cut the in half vertically. Remove the seeds and the white ribs (the ribs are fine to eat but we need more room for the filling).
Rub the outside of each pepper with olive oil. Place the peppers open side up in a casserole dish or pan just big enough to fit them all in.
Fill each pepper about half way full with the meat and sauce mixture.
Divide the spinach among the peppers and place on top of the meat mixture. If you are using frozen spinach be sure to squeeze out the excess moisture first.
Divide the goat or feta cheese up and place on top of the spinach.
Next top with another layer of the meat mixture until the peppers are completely full. Feel free to press down with a spoon to cram as much as you can in there!
Top with grated cheddar cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and brown.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.